Tangy Lemon Sorbet


I thought the backgrounds for these photos were especially fitting considering the timing of this post. I I had the first draft of a very important writing project due this past week, and this is essentially the landscape I have been looking at for a good portion of the last month as I have been chipping away at the researching and writing for this project. If you have spent much time with me and noticed which books I have carried around lately, you can see them in this picture (if you squint), and the lower photo gives you a glimpse of my newly acquired, and greatly appreciated, ultrabook on which I am typing this post right now. This is a very busy time for me right now, but everyone needs a break sometimes, right? So I am posting this delicious recipe for you which I made last week: my alltime favourite ice cream flavour, lemon sorbet.

Lemon sorbet is like a lemon ice cream, but even more lemony, and more refreshing, without any milk or cream. In place of cream, the recipe I use calls for two egg whites, which help the mixture to stay slightly softer when frozen, although it is still easiest to take the sorbet out of the freezer for a moment or two before trying to scoop some out, because it does get quite hard. Anyway, I am going to keep this short as I am still knee-deep in research, and really this sorbet does not need any talking up; if you make it, you will love it and make it again. If you do not make it, you will have missed out. So, the choice is yours. Here is the recipe. Hope you are all enjoying the tail end of your summer!

Homemade Lemon Sorbet

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
2 cups water
1 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 egg whites, lightly beaten

Directions:

  • Stir the water with the sugar in a saucepan, over low heat, until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low again and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool completely.
  • Add the juice and the lightly beaten egg whites to the cool syrup and churn in an ice cream maker.
  • Once churned, transfer to a plastic container and let chill in the freezer until firm. 
  • Take the sorbet out of the freezer a minute or two before serving, to let it soften a little.
Enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts