Mom's Banana Muffins


My mom makes the best banana chocolate chip muffins, and these muffins were a real staple in our house. My mom has never baked so many different things, probably because we always got so much delicious baking from my grandma. But the one thing my mom has always made are these muffins. She always changes the recipe a little, substituting yogurt or whizzed cottage cheese for the sour cream sometimes, and doing other changes as well, depending on the day, but this is the original recipe she always used, and this is the recipe I now use when I make these muffins. I often sub out 1/2 of the flour for whole wheat flour, and sometimes add some rolled oats, but otherwise I usually stick pretty well to the recipe as is. I love these muffins, and I usually have some of these on hand, or my pumpkin muffins, or rhubarb muffins (which I just realized I have never posted here, so maybe I should soon enough)--depending what I have on hand. But that is for another time.



My Mom's Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins:

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp bks
  • 1 tsp bkp
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 cup mashed, ripe bananas (2-3)
  • 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2-1 cup chocolate chips
Directions:
  1. Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl, sifting the rising agents.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs and oil. In a measuring cup measure out the bananas and sour cream to make 1 1/2 cups, total (adjust the amount of sour cream to even out the amount of banana you have if it's not quite 1 cup). Add the bananas and sour cream to the wets and beat smooth.
  3. Gradually add the drys to the wets, beating after each addition, and finally fold in the chocolate chips.
  4. Spoon the batter into muffin tins (approx 1/4 cup per muffin hole), and bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes, or until they spring back to the touch.

Comments

Popular Posts