Nanimo Bars

Every once in a while I prepare for a post, but then I file it away, perhaps because I thought the photos weren't quite as I wanted, and I had planned to redo them sometime (not that the standard on this blog is so terribly high - I have a real mix here - it's the memories I love.) This is one such post. I remember eating the Nanimo bars so fast after baking them for this post that I never got a real shot of the bars cut up. But looking back at the photos, I was drawn back into the first summer I lived in Wolfville, in which I went to my Aunt's house to dog-sit for a few weeks - a house that held memories for me - and I loved seeing her wood stained cozy kitchen again. A whole wave of memories rushed back to me, and I realized that I really hadn't yet posted my grandma's Nanimo bar recipe (after more than two years!)


And so, belated as it is, I think the time is right now to post this vintage Nanimo bar post, as much to celebrate the sweetness of the past, as to remember the sweetness of my grandma's Nanimo bars, and perhaps be nudged into making them sometime here in the Tropics.

Nanimo Bars 

Makes 1 pan

Bottom Layer
½ cup unsalted butter (European style cultured)
¼ cup sugar
5 tbsp. cocoa
1 egg beaten
1 ¼ cups graham wafer crumbs
½ c. finely chopped almonds
1 cup coconut


  • Step 1: Melt first 3 ingredients in top of double boiler. Add egg and stir to cook and thicken. Remove from heat. Stir in crumbs, coconut, and nuts. Press firmly into an ungreased 8" x 8" pan.


Second Layer
½ cup unsalted butter
2 Tbsp. and 2 Tsp. cream
2 Tbsp. vanilla custard powder
2 cups icing sugar


  • Step 2: Cream butter, cream, custard powder, and icing sugar together well. Beat until light. Spread over bottom layer.


Third Layer
4 squares semi-sweet chocolate (1 oz. each)
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter


  • Step 3: Melt chocolate and butter over low heat. Cool. Once cool, but still liquid, pour over second layer and chill in refrigerator.

Comments

Popular Posts